How are books selected?
We seek books that…
- introduce American readers to outstanding authors and illustrators from other countries.
- are accessible to American readers.
- have received international awards.
- possess literary and artistic merit.
- contain thought-provoking content that invites reflection and response, invokes curiosity, and inspires creative imagination.
- present world people and cultures in a manner that is worthy and up-to-date.
Does this site have a sponsor?
Yes it does, the Carthage College Center for Children’s Literature.
How do I get rid of the white area covering the Book Map?
Our Book Map, accessible from the menu bar, is a cool feature when it works, but we are at Google’s mercy for how it functions and displays on various devices. First, make sure that you have full-screened the map and tried moving the map underneath the white area. Then, we’ve found that users have a better experience on devices that are logged onto a Google account, but how to do that will vary from user to user. If desperate, try using Google’s Chrome browser, which is unique in allowing you to log into the browser itself through Google.
Why are you doing this?
Ultimately, we are doing this because we believe that the world will be a better place if people read these books.